Monday, January 05, 2009

I've landed in Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. I have no pictures yet because I have been positively overwhelmed by the similarities to a thousand others of the world's capitals. I've been experiencing deja vu since I supposedly speak Thai and in essence I have been relearning it. ONe problem has been that I have had no model for the tones of the language and I speak Thai pretty atonal-ly. That would mean that essentiall y I mispronounce every other syllable except the ones I have memorized completely. Gratefully many Thai mistake my ability for something stronger than it is, and they gallop a million kilometers a second and when I give them a blank look they repeat in broken English, which I don't understand any better... Smiles.

1 comment:

GiftedGeisha said...

You amaze me... I love you Cousin!