Monday, June 29, 2009


It starts raining while I'm at work at 4 p.m. Some of my co workers are going to the wedding of the former director of education and of the teachers later on. But it's pour cats and dogs.

At about 4:30 I start out on my trusty bike towards home. Pretty soon I'm up to my hubs in water. This on a pretty trafficked cross town street. I'm trying to find my way around the water, but there it is everywhere. It is even being pushed into peoples' houses and shops by the wakes of the SUV's passing. Even the motodup (taxi) drivers are having trouble getting through. But through the waist deep water they wade. They just tell their passengers, "Pick your feet up!"



In the top photo, some kids decide to make the best of it all and they are swimming in street water. One has a piece of styrofoam he got from a cooler and is bodyboarding Street 63 in one of the most elite neighborhoods in Phnom Penh. The mustard colored wall belongs to the British International School of Phnom Penh. It's the elite day school for the kids of ex-pats who live here. With enough money you can even keep the weather out of your life.


No comments: