Thursday, December 11, 2008

I have arrived safe and sound in Phnom Penh. It's a great joy to see my housemate Tashi Bradford again. (We shared a house in Washington DC for three or four years ... though we never lived together since I would come to stay whenever she went abroad or to her family's home.) It was a great way to split a house.

The trip here was marvelous. Simply marvelous. I took off 9 a.m. Wednesday morning from Honolulu having had only 1 1/2 hours of sleep the night before. Ten hours later I was in Narita Japan Thursday at 1 p.m. (Wonderful how jet lag is huh.)
Given that Japan is wice.as densely populated as the United States is, you would think that the whole country is one big city. Instead, as you land in Narita you see miles on miles of farmland. I found a way to spend a six hour layover from an internet site called Mike Newman's Narita Layover Page. You can access is at www.mgnewman.com.

No comments: